Thursday 29 October 2015

Feature Friday: Glass Artist Simon Alderson

This week, for Feature Friday, we caught up with glass artist Simon Alderson. 

Where are you from and where do you currently practice your artwork?

 I’m originally from Darlington, a small market town in the North East.
I now live and work in Bristol, it was a big move but it’s been great for my creative practise.
Simon also teaches a variety of glass-working techniques at the Creative Glass Guild

 Are you self-taught or have you completed any training?

 A mixture of both, I completed a degree in glass and ceramics at the University of Sunderland, studying at the incredible National Glass Centre. I’ve been continually exploring and developing new techniques ever since.
Simon donates £3 from each poppy brooch to the British Legion Poppy Appeal

 How would you describe your artwork/process?

 There are many facets to my creative work, glass is a very niche material to work with 
but it is also very versatile. There are numerous techniques to explore and develop. 
I predominantly work with fused glass these days, and I’m currently exploring a multitude of options for creating patterns within the glass - essentially creating your own coloured sheets. I do however still love the traditional stained glass process, and always turn back to this age old technique when the need arises. I have always enjoyed traditional glass painting; this is fed through my drawing which underpins any artists work.

  What/Who is your biggest inspiration/influence?

  I enjoy the making process and always feel the need to be making, naturally a big influence is the Arts and Crafts movement; Morris, Ruskin and the hand of the maker. Colour also plays an important part in my work, which is probably a cliché being a glass artist but it plays such a fundamental part of our lives. Glass has the power to uplift and transcend. I also have a thing about birds so I use them a lot, particularly in my drawing and painting work.

Have you ever received any artistic awards for your work?

I was shortlisted for the David Shepherd Wildlife Artist of the Year Exhibition for one of my bird glass paintings, Erithacus Rubecular. This piece was exhibited in the Mall Galleries London.

Where can people see your work?

I sell through various shops and galleries in Bristol.
 You can see my work on my website
I also sell internationally through my Etsy Shop

You can also follow Simon on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment