Thursday 20 October 2016

Feature Friday: Essi Kimpimäki Illustration

Where do you currently practice your artwork?
I'm originally from Finland but I have been living in Glasgow, Scotland, for over nine years. Currently I'm renting a desk in a shared creative studio space near my home.

Are you self taught or have you completed any training?
I studied Illustration at the Glasgow School of Art, graduating in 2011.
How would you describe your artwork/process?
I mainly work digitally nowadays as it is just so much faster and lets you edit
the art work painlessly - which is essential with tight deadlines! I do however still like to have some organic hand drawn feel and textures in my work. My medium of choice is a Wacom graphics tablet and a nice selection of Photoshop brushes, these make the process pretty similar to actual drawing and painting. 
I also, whenever I can find the time, love to do some screen-printing!
What is your biggest influence/inspiration?
Inspiration can come from anywhere really and often hits when you're not
looking for it. I do love looking at other people's artwork however I find
more inspiration just by looking at what's happening around you - the light, the
colours, the scenes, the people. I also love travelling and get very inspired by
looking at pictures of faraway places - or ideally of course visiting them myself!
What are you working on at the moment?
I'm currently finishing off illustrating a second children's book for the Quarto Publishing.
Where can people see your work?
Website: http://essillustration.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment