Thursday 25 May 2017

Feature Friday: Sally Lancaster Art

Where are you from and where do you currently practice your artwork?
I'm from the gorgeous county of Devon and I'm a very proud Devonshire lass! I rent a room in a local printing firm. As I 
live on my own, I love getting out of the house and going to work at my studio-plus there are other people there to stop
me from losing the plot due to loneliness.
How would you describe your artwork/process?
I work from photographs so it starts with me doing a photo shoot. I will then go through the images to choose one that
stands out to me as something special, as the basis of my painting. I work in oils, although I do the first layer in acrylics to
speed up the drying time. I can then get to work with the oils, building up until the top, detailed layer.

What is your biggest influence/inspiration?
I love producing paintings with interesting lighting as this can create something either really dramatic or it can soften an image.

Have you ever received any artistic awards for your work?
Back when I produced mainly equestrian paintings I did win a couple of awards at the Society of Equestrian Artists annual
exhibitions. When I was a kid I won a painting set after entering a competition with Kellogg's Cornflakes-I was so
excited that I'd actually won something!

What has been the biggest highlight of your career so far?
When I worked as an Equestrian Artist there were a couple of things. Firstly being asked by The Racing Post to be the
artist working on their horse statue at an event set up by Cheltenham Racecourse. Secondly, being commissioned to 
do a painting of HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the then ruler of Dubai. Now that I'm a Figurative Artist 
I'm waiting for a highlight, something like a solo show would be amazing! Hint hint to any galleries reading this...
Where can people see your work?
I have a few pieces in galleries which are listed on my website but most of my work can either be seen in my studio or at
any exhibitions-which are again listed in my website.

What are you working on at the moment?
To be honest, I'm having a little break due to needing to pay the bills but once things are back on track and I have time in
the studio, I'll be working on a few more of my paintings involving material draped over my model. I've loved working on
this series of paintings so am looking forward to getting back to them.
Sally Lancaster Art:

No comments:

Post a Comment