Thursday 28 July 2016

Feature Friday: OkieFolky Felt Art by Kim Carmichael


Where do you practice your work?
I work from home in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, in my spare time.

How did you get into Needle Felting?
I used to practice ceramic sculpture in my home town of Glastonbury. Desperate to find an artistic outlet when I moved to Peterborough, I found a small needle felting course and signed for two classes. I wasn’t a natural to begin with but now, after two and a half years, I have found my own style that seems to just happen naturally.
How would you describe your artwork/process?
My work is a mix of 3D needle felting and 2D textile work - using many different wools. 

What is your biggest influence/inspiration?
I am fascinated by anthropomorphic images and nostalgia so I create clothed animal sculptures adding small props to give them purpose and character with simple story telling possibilities.

What are you working on at the moment?
Although I have not started my next project yet it is fully finished in my mind, ready to pop out very soon. I will be making an upholstered wing backed chair for a goat psychologist!

Where can people see your work?
I have a dedicated facebook page where I show my ideas and the processes which bring these characters to life. I also run an Easy Shop.

If you are interested in showcasing your work click here for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment